Axedale Remembrance Park


Cemetery Road, Axedale VIC 3551

Surrounded by bushland, Axedale Remembrance Park provides a peaceful setting as a place of remembrance. Towering gums, native shrubs and grasses add to the serene atmosphere found here. Monumental graves are available at Axedale, to read more please visit our memorials page here.

This cemetery has served the community of Axedale since the mid 1800’s; land was gazetted for the cemetery in 1864.

Overview Map   Google Maps

Axedale Catholic Cemetery


Cemetery Road, Axedale VIC 3551

In 2016, RPCV became responsible for the management and operations of the privately owned Axedale Catholic Cemetery, which is located next to the public Axedale Remembrance Park on Cemetery Road, Axedale.

This cemetery features an old stone fence surrounding the site, distinguishing it from the neighbouring Axedale Remembrance Park.

Monumental graves are available at Axedale, to read more please visit our memorials page here.

Google Maps

Bendigo Remembrance Park


70 Carpenter Street, Bendigo VIC 3550

The Bendigo Remembrance Park is the largest site managed by RPCV, covering approximately 19.2 hectares.

Bendigo has extensive lawn and monumental burial areas and offers a range of memorial options including traditional monuments and modern bronze and granite lawn plaques.

Memorial positions are available within rose gardens, native gardens and traditional niche walls and a memorial lawn. To learn more, please visit our memorials page here.

Rich in history, the monumental section has been heritage listed by Heritage Victoria and contains several monuments of historic significance, many dating from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.  

The first registered burial at the Bendigo Remembrance Park was recorded in February 1858; at the time this site was known as the Back Creek Cemetery. This site has also been known as the Sandhurst Cemetery, not to be confused with the Sandhurst Burial Ground in Bridge Street.

Land for the cemetery was not officially gazetted until 1875.

At this remembrance park, you will find the Bendigo Chapel. Situated just inside the main entrance on Carpenter street, this picturesque building welcomes all who enter the park.

The Bendigo Chapel was built in 1873 and was designed by George Avery Fletcher who at the time was town clerk, surveyor and cemetery secretary. 
Unique in its Gothic Revival style, the chapel is built from Harcourt granite. The building is designed in a distinctive cross shape, with the main entrance facing the east, and side exit doors facing the north and south.

Other unique features include its belle fleche adorned with a golden finial, taking pride of place atop the chapel. Historically the chapel was used as a space to conduct funeral services, with coffins placed on trestles such as those on display inside the chapel. Sunlight filtering through the stained-glass windows provides light to the interior which has no electric lighting.

A Living Heritage grant of $200,000 was awarded in 2017, which allowed for restoration of the roof, bell fleche, interior floor and stormwater drainage system to begin. Works were completed in May 2018. 
The conservation works allow the multi-denominational chapel to once again be available for a range of events including weddings, music recitals, receptions, as well as to be used for its original function to again host funeral services.

The chapel featured in Bendigo’s Open House event in 2018 & 2019.

Other features of prominence at the site include the former Sexton’s residence, seen near the main entrance gates and the Burke and Wills Monument in monumental section G3.

This tribute to Australia’s pioneering explorers was erected by the people of Bendigo. It appears to have had a paint finish but clearly a sandstone column. The foundation was laid in 1862 and more than 5000 people were in attendance. History indicates that objects of the time were buried at the site.  

A few years ago, the names of the lawn sections at each Remembrance Park were re-named to honour local people of the region that have made a significant contribution to the area. 

Previously, lawns were numbered or lettered as a form of identification.

A comprehensive list of the old and new names can be found on our Fact Sheet No 4 here.

Overview Map   Google Maps

Bendigo Notable Graves Tour

 Stand among a remarkable collection of artefacts reflecting the city’s gold past at the Bendigo Remembrance Park. It gives you a sense of the energy that our regional city of Bendigo once experienced.

Partake in our self-guided Notable Graves Tour to uncover the stories of Bendigo's pioneers and learn about the rapid changes driven by the Gold Rush. Now one of the largest regional cities and tourist destinations, Bendigo will always be thriving from the efforts of our past

Markers situated at each grave site identify each notable grave and have a QR code that can be scanned to obtain further information at the site. 

Eaglehawk Remembrance Park


5 Victoria Street, Eaglehawk VIC 3556

Memorials at the Eaglehawk Remembrance Park consist of lawn and monumental graves, native gardens, lakeside memorials, niche walls, granite pods, rose gardens, weeping roses and a memorial lawn. With many diverse options, here families find a unique way to celebrate the amazing life and legacy of those who have passed, establishing a place to visit now and for future generations.

To learn more about memorials, please vist our page here.

At approximately 12.14 hectares (30 acres), the Eaglehawk Remembrance Park is the third largest RPCV site in the Bendigo region. 
Land for the Eaglehawk cemetery was gazetted in 1879, when the area was used for monumental burials. A Heritage Overlay applies to the historical monumental area, which can be accessed through the original entrance off Grenfell Avenue. The old Sexton's residence at the park was formerly located near these gates. The cottage was built in the 1870’sand was residence for six Sextons of the cemetery, before it was demolished in the 1970’s.

A few years ago, the names of the lawn sections at each Remembrance Park were re-named to honour local people of the region that have made a significant contribution to the area. 

A comprehensive list of the old and new names can be found on our Fact Sheet No 4 here.

Overview Map   Google Maps  Walker Lawn  Symons Lawns  Eucalypt Lawn  Coulter Lawn

Kangaroo Flat Remembrance Park


33-49 Helm Street, Kangaroo Flat VIC 3555

The Kangaroo Flat Remembrance Park is unique among Bendigo cemeteries, as all lawn graves on site have upright headstones, rather than plaques on beams.
In addition to lawn burials, monumental burials also take place here and there are rose gardens, weepring roses, a shrub garden and memorial lawn where families can establish memorials.

To learn more about memorials, please vist our page here.

Four hectares in size, this cemetery has served the community since the 1800s. William Pittaway is credited with designing the layout of the monumental sections, separated into religious denomination by pathways. The sections branch in a cloverleaf design, a popular shape in early cemetery construct. There are seven monumental sections: Roman Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian and four Church of England.  

Burials on site are believed to have commenced in 1855, although land for the cemetery is recorded as being gazetted in 1874. Dates of passing earlier than 1855 are recorded on some headstones on site, which may have resulted at the time graves from the Sandhurst Burial ground in Bridge Street were exhumed and moved to a new resting place.

Following the passing of a Government Act in 1854, the Sandhurst Burial Ground was forced to close as the Act stated that ‘a burial ground must be at least 1 mile from a town.’ Notices were issued in local newspapers informing relatives of the council’s intention to exhume graves and reinter at other cemeteries.

A slate memorial erected in memory of the infant children of Hames and Mary Luxton is one of the earliest monuments erected in this remembrance park.  Elizabeth Ann Luxton passed in 1854 and was originally buried at the Sandhurst Burial ground.

A small timber chapel has been preserved at Kangaroo Flat, located inside the main entrance off Helm Street. Rose gardens, weeping roses and a memorial lawn surround the chapel. 
A rotunda was previously found within the monumental section of the park, although it no longer stands there today.

A few years ago, the names of the lawn sections at each Remembrance Park were re-named to honour local people of the region that have made a significant contribution to the area. A comprehensive list of the old and new names can be found on our Fact Sheet No 4 here.

Overview Map  Google Maps

Kialla West Remembrance Park


7374 Goulburn Valley Highway, Kialla West VIC 3631

The Kialla West Cemetery is a small rural cemetery located approximately 10 kilometres south of Shepparton at 7374 Goulburn Valley Highway, Kialla West.  Situated behind the Kialla West Primary School on five acres, the cemetery offers a traditional cemetery setting providing cemetery services to the community.

The original 5 acre parcel of land for Kialla West Cemetery was recorded as being set aside for cemetery purpose use in the Victorian Government Gazette on 11 July 1884.  The first Kialla West Cemetery Trust was subsequently gazetted on 17 October 1884 comprising of seven trust members. 

It is assumed that over time the number of Trustees declined and an approach was subsequently made to Shire of Shepparton to take over as the Trust, “Council of the Shire of Shepparton to be Trustees of the Kialla West Cemetery Trust was subsequently gazetted on 8 October 1986 with the Shire’s first interment undertaken in September 1987. 

After the local government amalgamations in 1994 the Shire of Shepparton was combined into the newly created Greater Shepparton City Council (GSCC) with the responsibilities of the Trust transferring with it. 

As of 1 July 2021 Pine Lodge is formally a part of the Remembrance Parks Central Victoria cemetery group. 

Kialla West Cemetery is welcoming, peaceful and respectful of the values, beliefs and customs of all members of the community. This Cemetery was established with a traditional denominational layout, which is still evident today.

The following sections are provided within the cemetery:

Roman Catholic
Church of England
Muslim - Adult & Children Section
Non-denominational (Currently no burials)

Overview Map  Google Maps  Church of England  Dissenters  Muslim Adult Section  Muslim Children Section  Presbyterian  Roman Catholic

Pine Lodge Remembrance Park


1600 Midland Highway, Shepparton East

The Pine Lodge Cemetery is the largest lawn cemetery within the Greater Shepparton municipality and is the cemetery of choice for those preferring a non-denominational lawn cemetery rather than the traditional monumental cemeteries.

The original 10 acre parcel of land for Pine Lodge Cemetery was recorded as being set aside for cemetery purpose use in the Victorian Government Gazette on 20 February 1880.  The first Pine Lodge Cemetery Trust was subsequently gazetted on 19 March 1880 comprising of five trust members.  At this time Pine Lodge Cemetery was predominantly a `bush’ cemetery with monumental memorials.  The first interment at Pine Lodge Cemetery was on 18 November 1882.

Over time the number of Trustees declined as did the number of burials.  Records indicate that there were no interments undertaken by the last volunteer Trust from early 1956.  The last remaining active Trustee, Bill Sadler, approached the Shire of Shepparton regarding taking over the cemetery Trust.  The “Council of the Municipality of the Shire of Shepparton” was subsequently gazetted as Trustees of the Pine Lodge Cemetery Trust on 8 January 1971. 

The Shire of Shepparton developed plans for Pine Lodge Cemetery to undertake a transition from a bush cemetery to a lawn cemetery.  Work began clearing the area and water reticulation with the assistance of a Cemeteries Registration Board grant in 1971.  The first interments in the newly established lawn sections occurred in 1972. 

 After the local government amalgamations in 1994 the Shire of Shepparton was incorporated into the newly created Greater Shepparton City Council (GSCC) municipality with the responsibilities of the Trust transferring with it.  

On 21 February 1997 the Pine Lodge Cemetery Trust purchased 26.9 acres from the southern boundary of the original cemetery to the Broken River to allow for future expansion.  As this land was purchased in the Trust’s name it was subsequently transferred to the Crown in 2016 and identified for cemetery purpose use.

As of 1 July 2021 Pine Lodge is formally a part of the Remembrance Parks Central Victoria cemetery group. 

The Pine Lodge Cemetery is located 16 kilometres east of Shepparton on the Midland Highway heading towards Benalla.

Overview Map  Google Maps  Acacia Grove  Banksia Lea  Callistemon Glen  Eucalypt Avenue  Grevillea Close  Gumnut Grove  Hakea Place  Tamerisk Glade  Westringia Way

Sunbury Cemetery


88 Shields Street, Sunbury VIC 3429 

Remembrance Parks Central Victoria commenced responsibility for management & operations of the Sunbury Cemetery Trust on 1st October 2020.  

The Sunbury Cemetery Trust will continue with its statutory oversight obligations and long-term development of the cemetery.

Sunbury Cemetery is a well-maintained, tranquil site covering almost 11 hectares, and located on the south-eastern outskirts of the Sunbury township.

Sunbury offers a gentle blend of traditional monumental graves with the new additions of well-maintained and manicured lawn graves. 
A memorial wall with rose garden is also available, providing an array of options when considering the memorial and final resting place for your loved ones. For more information, please visit the memorials page.

Adding to the serenity of the site, a selection of newly established native plants creates a gentle visual break from the residential homes behind, while new seating takes advantage of the views the cemetery offers and provides a space for visitors to reflect. 

Modern developments to the cemetery were designed by landscape architects as part of a major investment in maintaining and developing this site as a cemetery of long-standing significance.

These developments are complementary to the well-established flora on site, with features such as boundary rows of Dutch Elm trees, Monterey Cypresses and Pines, Italian cypress, pepper tree and native sugar gums longstanding features on the grounds.

Graceful English Oak trees, planted in the 1930s, border the main avenue welcoming visitors into the cemetery, which runs the length of the site and links both the historic monumental graves and the modern lawn areas. A recent planting of young oak trees along this avenue brings new growth and the promise of the Sunbury cemetery continuing to maintain its botanical splendour for many years to come. 


As rich in history as it is beauty, the Sunbury Cemetery is of local historical and social significance with its memorials of Sunbury’s late citizens dating back to the 19th century.

In 1862 the first 10 acres of the cemetery reserve was gazetted. This was a rectangular piece of land, stretching from the north-west to the south-east.
The first burial was registered on site 5 August 1862. A further 7 burials took place within the year.

In 1880 a further 17 acres was gazetted, adding on to the north-eastern side of the cemetery, this time an oddly shaped piece of land, which shifted the boundary of the cemetery to then front Shields Street. This provided greater access to the site.

By 1886 a four-room cottage had been erected alongside the driveway of the new main entrance, providing residence to the cemetery caretaker. Nearing 80 years on from that time the residence was said to be in poor condition, and it was later demolished.

The Sunbury Cemetery now has a heritage overlay.


Memorials at Sunbury range from beautifully carved marble and granite monuments, to their modern bronze plaque counterparts.

A memorial can be found on site in remembrance of children from the former Sunbury Industrial School (1865 – 1879) buried at Sunbury Cemetery. Many children from the Industrial School were buried at the cemetery, unsurprisingly given the cemetery’s position within the Industrial School reserve, which was gazetted in 1864.

Patients from the Sunbury Asylum and Mental Hospital (1879-1985) and Sunbury Training Centre and Caloola Centre (1964-1992)  were also buried on site and have a memorial established in their honour. The memorial was constructed by the Sunbury Cemetery Trust with assistance provided by the friends of Sunbury Public Cemetery Advisory Committee, the Leader Newspaper Group, the Sunbury Family History Society Inc, the Sunbury & District Heritage Association and Sunbury Helping Hand.

Overview Map  Google Maps

White Hills Remembrance Park


Corner of Holdsworth Road & Plumridge Street, White Hills VIC 3550

A vast monumental burial area is present at White Hills Remembrance Park, alongside lawn burial areas. There is also a shrub garden, rose garden, weeping roses and memorial lawn area. To see all options available, please visit our memorials page here.

The White Hills Remembrance Park was originally known as the Junction Cemetery. In 1854 it officially opened, however the site was used as a cemetery well before this date. Initial burials in this remembrance park took place without registration therefore the first person buried at the White Hills Remembrance Park is not known.

The park has expanded over time. An 1845 government survey of the region shows roughly 10 acres as burial ground. A later plan in 1857 shows a larger cemetery, with expansion to the south-west and north-west. Records show land for the White Hills cemetery being gazetted in 1874. 
Due to this expansion, the original entrance site to the park is now found deep within the grounds and the gates have been moved to accommodate the larger area. The old sexton’s cottage, built in 1881, was situated at the original entrance point. The building site is still identifiable today, although the residence was demolished in 1945. 

As one of Bendigo’s oldest burial grounds, many interesting monuments can be found here including a monument erected to the memory of Robert (Pump Handle) Benson; and the largest monument in the Remembrance Park – Major Robert Moorehead of the Prince of Wales Light Horse.

Botanical splendour is found at the White Hills Remembrance Park, with a collection of native and exotic flora throughout. The historic monumental section features a collection of conifers, including specimens of Long-Leaved Indian Pine, Coned Canary Island Pine, Aleppo Pine, Stone Pine and Monterey Pine.

Established Pepper Trees line the entrance fence on Holdsworth Road and a pair of Moreton Bay Fig Trees and, next to these, a pair of Carob Trees frame either side of the Holdsworth Road entrance gates.

Many Australian Natives are also on site, with intact bushland featuring Ironwood trees and Kurrajong. The Jewish section features a Green Olive Tree and Irish Strawberry Tree.

The White Hills Remembrance Park is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register as a substantially intact example of a mid-nineteenth century goldfields cemetery, with strong links to the Central Goldfields dating back to 1853.

Of particular significance is the site’s Chinese burial section, with the large number of burials here evidencing Chinese migration to Victoria in the 1850s. White Hills Remembrance Park has the largest number of Chinese footstones in Victoria and a rare 1870’s Chinese Funerary Burner, a reflection of the religious customs and traditions practiced by the Chinese mining colony, and still utilised by members of the Chinese community today.

This park also holds architectural significance. The cast iron fence and gates situated at the Holdsworth Road entrance are representative examples of typical nineteenth century cemetery features and were designed by Bendigo Architect William Charles Vahland in 1881 (Vahland is now buried at the Bendigo Remembrance Park).
In 2020, restoration works on the fence and gate were completed. A project made possible by grants received through the Victorian Government’s Living Heritage Program. The gates now stand once again painted in heritage green, welcoming visitors to the park.

Also in 2020, a restoration project facilitated by RPCV and in conjunction with WDEA works was also undertaken to repair and refurbish the historical Rotunda. Built in 1898, the Victorian style rotunda is one of the enduring pieces of historical architecture at the site. Preservation of these important landmarks solidifies the White Hills Remembrance Park as a cemetery for visitors to experience as a timestamp of the gold rush era.

A few years ago, the names of the lawn sections at each Remembrance Park were re-named to honour local people of the region that have made a significant contribution to the area. 

A comprehensive list of the old and new names can be found on our Fact Sheet No 4 here.

Overview Map  Google Maps

Emu Creek Remembrance Park


Hargreaves Street, Emu Creek VIC 3551

Emu Creek Remembrance Park is not currently an active cemetery

Donnybrook Remembrance Park


As of 6th October 2022 Donnybrook is formally a part of the Remembrance Parks Central Victoria cemetery group. 

RPCV began assisting with management and operation of the Donnybrook Cemetery in the beginning of 2022.